If you’re a New Jersey mud maniac, then you know what time it is! Next weekend marks the return of the Tri-State Tough Mudder – a 13 (ish) mile, military-grade obstacle course. The event is an interesting juxtaposition to this weekends NYC Marathon. Yes, the Mudder is HALF the distance, BUT the obstacles and elements [...]
So far, we’ve looked at Tough Mudder training alternatives to the Devil’s Beard and Boa Constrictor obstacles. In the following installment, we’re looking to kill two birds with one stone as we address the Swamp Stomp and descending mud hills. Our first installment found us using rope, in our second we resorted to body weight, [...]
In our previous installment, we took a look at an alternative training movement for the Devil’s Beard obstacle. You can check that post out here, and read up on why we’re looking for alternatives to training for the Tough Mudder obstacles. For this installment, we’re going to look at the Boa Constrictor obstacle. And just [...]
It seems as though a new obstacle race is popping up every day. Some are longer than others and have more obstacles, but for the most part, all of them share the same qualities: distance, mud, crawling, climbing, jumping, bumping… and of course some have elements such as extreme heat, extreme cold, barbed wire, fire [...]
Probably the biggest question I get asked when discussing our team’s experience at the Tri-State Tough Mudder with future participants is “how should I prepare for the event?” The Tough Mudder website does offer a plan of action for preparing for the event. However, it’s focus is not as honed as it needs to be [...]
One of the top questions I get regarding the Tough Mudder is “So, what should I wear?” And, of course, the answer is always “Well, that depends.” While all Tough Mudders are similar in design, they’re not all equal in actualization. The biggest determinant of gear is going to be the elements. Is your event [...]
When training for anything – not just a 12 mile, 19 military grade obstacle course – you want to make sure your plan progresses so that you peak at event time. Not before, and certainly not afterward. Having said that, everyone’s plan will look different. When prepping our team for New Jersey’s Tri State Tough [...]
Just what is a Jack In A Box Squat? Why would you want to add it to your current training program? Just how the heck do you perform it? The latest edition of the RMAX Magazine has just been released and inside you can read my tutorial (and watch the included videos) on the JIABS [...]
The phone conversation went something like this: “Are you sure?” “Yeah, yeah.” “It’s a light day. Only five miles. We’ll be back before the game starts.” “Nah, I’m cool.” “The Mudder is two weeks away.” “I’ll just get my miles in at the track after the game.” “You’re good with that?” “Totally. Five miles is [...]
I had been toiling it over for a few weeks. A good buddy of mine had asked me to join him and a small group of guys in this thing called the Tough Mudder. Funny name, but it sounded a bit different from the typical races he normally engages in. I immediately checked out the [...]
- Hcg drops: Amazing stuff. My thanks for writing that. I'll c...
- nfl jerseys for infants: Hi there, I check your new stuff on a regular basi...
- John Belkewitch: Thanksgiving was great, bro. Haven't stopped eat...
- John Sifferman: Thanks for the update, John - good to know things ...
- John Belkewitch: Renee! Great to hear from you :-) Going strong u...
- Side Bending Is Ancient History May 10, 2012
- Best Tough Mudder Gear January 20, 2011
- Tough Mudder Training: 5 Key Components To A Safe And Effective Plan January 10, 2011
- 4 Houses, 1 Community: Transform Your Movement, Transform Your Life April 10, 2012
- Rugged Maniac Comes To Jersey April 24, 2011
- Going Beyond The Mat With Your Training – Pressure Testing For Specific Preparedness January 7, 2013
- Fit For The Holidays: Training With Santa Claus December 17, 2012
- It’s Been A While… November 20, 2012
- Zombies Run!: Spike Your Running With Some Creative Engagement July 30, 2012
- Mirror, Mirror: What’s My Fitness Reflection? June 11, 2012
Follow @day1pt on Twitter